Health and Recovery Plan (HARP)
HARP is the Empire Health and Recovery Plan. This type of plan provides members with their regular Medicaid health care benefits, plus extra care for behavorial health needs, like mental health and substance use treatment services.
You may be eligible for HARP through Empire if you:
- Are age 21 or older
- Live in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan, Putnam, Queens, or Staten Island County
- Are enrolled in Medicaid
- Have been diagnosed with serious mental illness or substance use disorder
What you get with Empire
Visits to the doctor
A helpful care manager
There are no copays for covered services
- Primary care provider (PCP) visits
- Immunizations and wellness visits
- Specialist visits
- Urgent care
- Emergency care
- Lab and X-ray services
- Pregnancy services
- Family planning
- Hospital care
- Physical therapy
- Speech and hearing services
- Behavioral health care (mental and substance abuse services)
- Smoking cessation services
- Home health care services
- Disease management for asthma, diabetes and more
See your member handbook for a full list of benefits in your plan.
We believe good dental care is important to your overall health. There are no copays for covered dental services, including:
- Teeth cleaning twice a year
- Oral exams
- Emergency care
- Dentures (removable or partial)
Empire offers dental care through LIBERTY Dental, an expert in providing high quality dental services. To find or change your dentist, call LIBERTY Dental at 1-833-276-0847, or visit their website.
There are no copays for covered vision services, including:
- One eye exam every two years
- Prescription glasses every two years
See your member handbook for a full list of vision benefits in your plan.
You can get no-cost rides to your medical appointments. You or your provider should call to schedule your ride at least three days before your appointment.
Call Medical Answering Services (MAS) at 1-800-850-5340
You will need:
- Your Medicaid ID number
- Your appointment date and time
- The address where you’re going
- The name of the doctor you’re seeing
Are you pregnant? Sign up for our New Baby, New Life℠ Healthy Rewards program and earn debit card dollars for completing healthy activities.
- $25 for prenatal visit in the first trimester or within 42 days of enrollment into Empire
- $25 for attending postpartum visit 21 to 56 days after delivery
- $25 for attending at least six prenatal care visits
- $25 for baby’s two-week checkup
- $25 for attending at least six well-child checkups by 15 months of age
Sign up for Healthy Rewards online or call 1-877-868-2004.
Your benefits include a wide range of prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs. We work with IngenioRx to provide these benefits.
Your copay for prescriptions is $3 for brand-name drugs and $1 for generic drugs. Pregnant women do not have copays.
Visit the pharmacy page to find a pharmacy near you and check if your medicine is on the Preferred Drug List (PDL).
There are some treatments and services you need to get approval for before you receive them in order to be able to continue receiving them. This is called prior authorization. You or someone you trust can ask for this. The following treatments and services must be approved before you get them:
- Some ambulatory surgery
- Durable medical equipment
- Growth hormone evaluation and therapy
- Digital hearing aids
- Home care
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Inpatient services
- Nonemergent fixed wing transportation
- Obstetrical services (except family planning services)
- Oxygen equipment — respiratory therapy
- Prosthetics and orthotics
- Some drugs
- Transplant evaluation
Mental and emotional health support
Behavioral health care includes mental health and substance use treatment services. You have access to services that can help you with emotional health. You can also get help with alcohol or other substance use issues.
Behavioral Health Care and Home and Community Based Services (BH HCBS)
As a member of Empire HARP, you can get specialty services to help you reach your health goals. These services are called Behavioral Health Home and Community Based Services (BH HCBS). These services can help you stay out of the hospital and live in the community. Some services can help you reach goals for employment, school or other areas of your life you may want to work on, like:
- Finding housing
- Living independently
- Finding a job
- Returning to school
- Managing stress
- Preventing crises
- Getting help from people who’ve been there
Health Home Care Management
You can also get a care manager who will make sure you get the medical, behavioral health and social services you need. They can help you make appointments, find housing and food assistance and more.
For more information, call 1-888-830-4300 and ask to speak with a case manager.
There are no copays for covered services. See your member handbook for a full list of benefits in your plan.
Already a member? We’re glad you chose Empire.
We want you to understand your benefits and receive the best possible care. Here are some resources to help.
Complete benefit information can be found in your member handbook.
- Member handbook — English
- Member handbook — Spanish
- Member handbook — Chinese
- February 2020 member handbook update — English
- February 2020 member handbook update — Spanish
- February 2020 member handbook update — Chinese
If you have any questions, call Member Services at 1-800-300-8181 (TTY 711). Our team is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. You can also log in to your account to send us a message at any time.
Whether it’s 3 a.m. or a Sunday afternoon, health issues come up. That’s why you can always call our 24/7 NurseLine and speak directly to a nurse. Call 1-800-300-8181 (TTY 711) anytime, day or night.